GALILEO and EGNOS for waterway transport
Introducing EGNOS and GALILEO into the European River Information System
The GALEWAT (GALILEO and EGNOS for waterway transport) project, conducted by a consortium of partners operating in the fields of waterway operation and management, navigation, maritime electronics, telecommunication and IT industries and services, aimed at the realization of a first step towards the introduction of EGNOS and finally GALILEO into the upcoming RIS all across Europe. The project comprised the following main steps:
- Identify user requirements (e.g. RNP Parameter), services and demonstration projects.
- Evaluate EGNOS for application in Transport & Traffic Info Services as well as for Traffic & Transport Management purposes.
- Integrate EGNOS into the AIS transponder environment.
- Analyse and validate through theoretical work as well as through a demonstration project in the DoRIS test centre, that EGNOS, integrated into the AIS transponder concept, is capable to meet the user and service requirements; special emphasis will be on accuracy and integrity requirements.
- Develop and analyse transition scenarios from today’s situation towards use of EGNOS and GALILEO.
- via donau, Austria (lead)
- INOV, Portugal
- Kongsberg Seatex AS, Norway
- TeleConsult Austria, Austria
GALEWAT was carried out under a programme of and funded by the European Space Agency. The view expressed herein can in no way be taken to reflect the official opinion of the European Space Agency.
- European Space Agency (ESA)
Successfully completed in 2005